Monday, January 28, 2013

Get to Know Your Raiders: Caitlin Bamberger



 
Despite battling through several injuries throughout her career, senior forward Caitlin Bamberger has been a steady leader for the women’s basketball team over the last several seasons.

Her best year came as a junior last season, when the Blandon native started 23 games and averaged 7.4 points and 6.6 rebounds per game and was one of the PSAC’s Top-20 rebounders.

A human communication studies major, Bamberger has scored in double figures in 20 career games. Earlier this season, she suffered a serious knee injury that held her out of 12 games, but the senior is back on the court to finish up her career as an experienced post presence off the bench.

Get to know Caitlin Bamberger…

What is your favorite pre-game ritual?

This may sound rather strange but I shower before games, get my hair braided then put all my gear on in the same order. I guess you could say it’s a little superstition.

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

Coming from a smaller community, Shippensburg makes me feel at home. The community is welcoming and they’re involved with a lot of things that happen on and off campus.  

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?

I think I just started it – Sports Marketing. I’ve taken a lot of interesting classes here but this one seems like it will be very interesting and it’s a different side of sports that many people don’t think of.

If you weren't majoring in human communication studies, what would your major be?

Either Pre-Forensic Science or Criminal Justice (or both). My original plan was to be a pre-forensic science major, then I realized biology and all that other fun stuff wasn’t for me.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?

I have three. Wednesday and Saturday – Game days. Sunday is the other one – it’s the one day that I get to relax and actually breathe without having to worry about class, work or basketball.

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?

West Chester and Millersville. Both schools have rich histories in their basketball programs and are always very competitive.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

I would hope that they would say that I am a strong leader and determined. They all know I’ve had a rough career with injuries and I think they all can see that giving up is not an option.

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?

My freshman year I was voted “Newcomer of the Year” and “Most Improved Player” by my teammates, which means a lot because they saw all the hard work I put in after having to redshirt and come back from injury.

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

There are a lot of added responsibilities once you become a student-athlete. Obviously academics come first so you have to have a very set schedule to make sure you’re able to accomplish everything necessary.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?

Time management. There is a huge difference between the amount of time you spend with one class in high school and the amount of time you spend with one class in college. Knowing that there are other responsibilities such as practices, games, study hall and so on, it is critical that you’re able to manage your time wisely so you’re able to stay on top of your work.

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

The one thing that I constantly say to myself is, “Pain is only temporary.” In many things that happen in life, there is a point of pain whether it is big or small. It is important to embrace that pain and push through it. With determination to move on, the pain will only subside and make you a stronger person.

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in basketball, what would you tell them they should focus on?

Create a love for the game and don’t focus solely on one aspect of it. These days there are many basketball players that don’t have set positions because of their height, etc. It is critical to develop in every area of the game so you can be a well-rounded player. But most importantly, have fun in what you’re doing. If you’re able to fall in love with the sport, having fun becomes second nature.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

I want to leave more than just numbers. I want people to see how the program has developed over the time I’ve been here. I want future athletes to enjoy their time here and want to continue to build not just the basketball program but also the Ship athletics program as a whole. 



No comments:

Post a Comment