Thursday, April 25, 2013

Get to Know Your Raiders: Chris Nelson



Junior Chris Nelson of the men’s track & field team likes to throw things.

One of the top throwers in the PSAC, the Berwyn native boasts three career top-4 places at conference championship meets.

Nelson has finished fourth in the weight throw in back-to-back years at the PSAC Indoor Championships. His throw at this year’s meet was a PR by more than a foot (57 feet, 2 inches) and earned him USTFCCCA All-Region accolades.

An exercise science major, Nelson placed second in the hammer throw at last year’s PSAC Outdoor Championships with a school-record toss of 176 feet, 9 inches.

So far this outdoor season, Nelson has achieved top-4 finishes in the hammer at the Golden Ram Invitational, the Fred Hardy Invitational and Millersville Metrics.

This weekend, Nelson and his teammates will host their lone home meet of the season in the ninth annual Paul Kaiser Classic from Seth Grove Stadium. Nelson will look to get the Raiders off to a quick start as the men’s hammer competition will kick off the meet at 8:30 a.m.

Get to know Chris Nelson…

What is your favorite pre-meet ritual?

I enjoy visualizing my throws. When I visualize I find a quiet place where I can lay down. I close my eyes and go through all my throws. This is very calming and relaxing for me, and then I feel no pressure when I go to actually throw, because in my mind I’ve already won.

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

I most enjoy Ship Rec in the early morning. Seeing the sun rise and light up the football field and track is very beautiful.

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?

Human anatomy. It was a hard course with a lot of work but I enjoyed it. It was pretty cool learning how all the organs work and how they develop.

If you weren't majoring in exercise science, what would your major be?

My major would be biology or something to do with plants and animals. If exercise science doesn’t work out I would like to be a park ranger.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?

Friday is my favorite day because I’m usually either heading to a track meet or preparing for one the next day.

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?

I enjoy competing against Kutztown. We have become friends with their throwing team and are very competitive with each other. I enjoy cheering them on and hearing them cheer me on as well.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

They would probably say I really enjoy throwing objects and it would be funny to see me run a 5K. 

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?

I am proud of obtaining the school record in the hammer throw last year.

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

The most difficult part is having enough time to sleep. My day starts early and ends late so I would really enjoy more time to sleep.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?

Discipline. As an athlete, I must be disciplined and keep to my routine. If I fall behind it is hard to make it up because of my lack of time, but I enjoy the challenge.

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

Always try my best and I can be proud of what I do regardless of the outcome.

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in throwing, what would you tell them they should focus on?

Take it slow, master the form and don’t get frustrated. Take it slow – don’t try to be stronger than everyone else, just worry about yourself and move at your open pace. If you can master the form you will be a successful thrower. Don’t get frustrated – throwing will not always go well, weather in the weight room or in the circle, there will be bad days. Just keep an open mind and push through your struggles and you will come out on top. Remember, it’s always too early to quit.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

I hope to leave behind a legacy as being a hard-worker.

No comments:

Post a Comment