Monday, October 22, 2012

Get to Know Your Raiders: Kayla Harshman


A senior defender on the No. 1-ranked Shippensburg University field hockey team, Kayla Harshman has earned a bit of a reputation from her teammates as a brick wall.

The Palmyra native leads the Raiders with three defensive saves this season and six total in her career. And in addition to patrolling the backlines, she’s chipped in offensively, too, totaling eight career assists and scoring her first career goal earlier this season at East Stroudsburg.

But in her final season, Harshman – a mathematics major with a concentration in statistics – has one final item that remains unchecked on her list of athletic accomplishments: a national championship.

Get to know Kayla Harshman…

What is your favorite pre-game ritual?

Before big games while we are in the locker room, one of our assistant coaches will come in and read us a visualization script. It allows us to relax and visualize the things that we are going to do well that game. It also helps relieve us from nerves and focus on what we are going to do well during the game that day. 

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

I most enjoy the town of Shippensburg itself. When I am on my way back to Ship after being away for a while, it is always nice when I finally see that Shippensburg University, King St. exit sign. Shippensburg has become like a second home for me and it is always relaxing to finally arrive back in this small town. 

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?

I would have to say my Observational Behavior class this semester. Dr. Hargrove really gets to know each of us individually and allows us to understand the concepts within the class by relating them to our individual lives, whether it is the sports we play or the clubs we are in. He also challenges us in groups and pushes us to work hard and understand concepts in our own way. 

If you weren't majoring in mathematics, what would your major be?

Probably something related to business. I have been taking a few business minor classes for my major and I have really enjoyed the professors and the concepts involved in these courses. 

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?

My favorite day of the week is Friday, especially during season. On Fridays after practice, we get together and have team bonding nights to focus on sticking together as a team to help us in our game the next day. 

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?

Bloomsburg and West Chester are my two favorite teams to play. They are our biggest rivals and they push us to play our best. Before big games like these you can always feel the excitement throughout the team, and after beating teams like West Chester and Bloomsburg you get the best feeling of satisfaction. 

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

This year my teammates have been calling me "brick wall." Being one of the smallest defenders in the PSAC they always say I'm the smallest brick wall they've ever seen but they trust me 100 percent when an opponent is coming down the field. I also think they would say that I am the type of person that always tries to keep a smile on everyone's face. I try to keep the energy positive at all times and help my teammates keep their spirits up. 

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?

One of my greatest athletic accomplishments in high school was making the Patriot News Big 11 team my senior year of high school. I battled an ACL injury in the middle of my senior year, but still managed to finish the season wearing a brace. It was a great accomplishment to be able to still make huge all-star teams even with a torn ACL and I was blessed to be able to finish out my senior year. 

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

Time management is very difficult being a student-athlete. You have to be able to keep up with your studies and still manage to get enough rest in order to compete at a high level in games and practice. It can become very stressful with all of the work and exams in-between games and practice, so you really have to manage your time and try to get work done ahead of time.

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

My older sister is a high school coach at my high school and she used to always say, "Don't get bitter, get better," and it always stuck with me. After hard games or even losses you have to be willing to get better and not dwell on the past. She always gives me the best advice when I am struggling with hockey or with school and she has really allowed me to keep pushing through everything and keep doing my best no matter what obstacles come my way. 

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in field hockey, what would you tell them they should focus on?

Have fun, especially at a young age. I coach a lot of hockey camps for young children and it's incredible to just see the children having fun no matter what their skill level is. You gain love for the game at a young age when you just have fun with it and allow yourself to improve by playing as much as you can and having a great time while doing it. 

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

I would love to finally win a national championship in my senior season and have our class remembered for years to come. 


1 comment:

  1. <3 you Kayla !!! #20 forever OUR BRICKWALL

    signed
    nate (mgr)

    ReplyDelete