Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Get to Know Your Raiders: Meghan Mahon



Meghan Mahon is easy to spot on the soccer field – the junior midfielder is a master of the flip throw-in from out of bounds.

Mahon – a midlevel elementary education major for grades 4-8 with a concentration in science and language arts – also excels on the pitch, as well. She has totaled five goals and four assists in her career as she’s appeared in all but five games over the last three seasons.

A Spring Grove native, Mahon suffered a knee injury last spring but managed to recover nearly in time for this fall. She missed the first two games of the season but played in every game thereafter and scored a goal at Mansfield on Oct. 3.

Get to know Meghan Mahon…

What is your favorite pre-game ritual?

I always have to put my right sock on before my left. I don’t know why I do this but it always has to be done. I also tape my ring to my right ring finger or put it in my sock/shin guard.  The ring is significant of my family and I wear it at all times in honor of them.

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?


The campus itself. I spend so much time there and it’s where all my hard work is displayed whether it’s on the soccer field, in the classroom or in the library. 

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?


I absolutely loved Adolescent Literature with Dr. Tom Crochunis. The class was so interesting and it taught me so much about myself and why I want to someday be a middle school teacher.  Dr. Crochunis is a great professor and really taught the course well. 

If you weren't majoring in midlevel elementary education, what would your major be?


I would have really liked to be a biology major so I could do something in a medical atmosphere. The medical field really interests me.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?


My favorite day of the week is GAME DAY. Just kidding, but I do love game day. I would have to say Thursday because that is my observation day for my little fourth graders at Ship Intermediate. 

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?


I really enjoy competing against West Chester and East Stroudsburg. Not only are they both very intense games but also because I have played with many of the girls that play on both teams.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

I feel like they would say that I work really hard and am a positive role model on and off the field. 

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?


Last spring I tore some ligaments in my knee and sat out spring season. I worked extremely hard over the summer after my surgery to get back my strength and fitness. Coming back this fall season I was in great shape and placed first in one of our fitness tests (beep test).  It was a great accomplishment and I was very proud of myself. 

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?


Time management, by far. It’s difficult during season because of away games and overnight trips. You tend to miss a great deal of classes, so getting homework done and being a good student is extremely difficult. 

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?


As a student-athlete I’ve learned how to prioritize and realize what’s more important and less important. Being a student-athlete, “student” comes first, then “athlete.” 

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?


My dad used to always tell me, “No matter what, in everything you do, you give your best.” This is something that not only can relate to soccer but also to school, relationships, etc. 

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in soccer, what would you tell them they should focus on?

It’s said all the time, but focus on the aspect of soccer being “fun” and continue to have a positive attitude to improve every day.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

I hope to leave behind the passion that I have for the game. With my career here in soccer I’ve had ups and downs but when it all comes down to it, I’m playing soccer because I simply love it.  My best friend always says to me, “Whenever you’re on the field, you’re a different person. You’re happier.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment