Monday, December 10, 2012

Get to Know Your Raiders: Dylan Edgar



The only junior on a 2012-13 team with just one senior, center Dylan Edgar has taken on a leadership role this season to help adjust the team’s nine freshmen to the collegiate game.

A native of Shiremanstown, Edgar has been a regular starter thoughout his career, averaging 6.7 points and 5.7 rebounds as a freshman and 9.7 points and 5.0 rebounds per game as a sophomore.

Through five games this season, Edgar, a finance major, is posting career averages with 12.4 points and 7.4 rebounds per contest. In the Raiders’ 68-63 loss to Kutztown over the weekend, Edgar scored a career-high 24 points and tied his career high with 12 rebounds for his first double-double of the season.

Get to know Dylan Edgar…

What is your favorite pre-game ritual?

Relaxing and listening to music, usually something calming but at the same time empowering.

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

I enjoy the whole area. Personally, I’m more of an urban/city guy, but I’ve got plenty of time in the rest of my life to reside in a city. Ship’s a great, little college town.

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?

Economics or Accounting courses.

If you weren't majoring in business administration, what would your major be?

I’m actually declaring finance now. It’s what I’ve been interested in since my freshman year but I just wanted to take some time and really be sure about my decision.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?

The weekend. During season, Saturdays are game days and in the offseason, the weekend is time to kick it with my teammates or family from back home.

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?

A lot of the PSAC schools have guys from my home area, guys that I played against in high school or play with in summer leagues so I like going against those teams. It’s cool still being able to play against those guys.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

As far as on the basketball court, they’d say I’m hardworking and a good leader. Off the court, I always have their backs and I’m one of them so they’d say I’m a good friend.

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?

Basketball’s been my whole life and my goal was always to play in college and get a scholarship so accomplishing that is probably what I’m most proud of. My teammates and I have a lot more goals that we want to accomplish as a group though, so that’s what’s next on my list.

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

Time management.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?

Maturity, leadership and responsibility. All characteristics that I’ll carry with me beyond my college career.

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

Live life to the fullest and do what makes you happy.

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in basketball, what would you tell them they should focus on?

Having fun. If you’re not having fun, or are playing because someone expects you to, then you should be doing something else with your life.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

I hope to have an impact on the underclassmen below me, just as upperclassmen that I’ve played with have had an impact on me. Then those underclassmen can pass that knowledge onto the underclassmen below them. So in a way, the things that I say and do continue to be passed on long after I’m gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment