Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Get to Know Your Raiders: Rachel Haupt


Rachel Haupt is a junior hurdler on the women’s track & field team.

A psychology major, Haupt improved her personal record in the 400 hurdles last May at the PSAC Outdoor Championships. Haupt recorded a time of 1:03.81 to finish fifth place and help contribute to the Raiders’ third consecutive conference outdoor title.

At the Bison Opener for the outdoor season earlier this month, the Montoursville native finished 12th in the 60 Hurdles with a time of 10.06 and was part of a 4x400 team that finished sixth.

Get to know Rachel Haupt…

What is your favorite pre-meet ritual?

The Sprinter Squad Pasta Parties. Every Friday before a meet, the sprinter girls get together at a teammate’s house, eat dinner together and paint our nails.

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

Starbucks. Oh, and the track of course.

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?

Childhood and Adolescents with Dr. Suzanne Morin. Dr. Morin is an excellent teacher and is really good at making students learn the information they need to but in a fun and interesting way.

If you weren't majoring in psychology, what would your major be?

Something in the business field, like Supply Chain Management.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?

Friday is my favorite day of the week because I don’t have class so it gives me a chance to either relax or catch up on work.

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?

Slippery Rock is probably my favorite PSAC team to compete against because they are our biggest rival in track.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

They would probably say I am not afraid to be bluntly honest but that I’m also very motherly.

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?

I am most proud of placing fifth in the PSAC Outdoor Championships in the 400 Hurdles last year that allowed me to contribute points for our team to win another PSAC Championship title.

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

Staying motivated to get work done after a tough practice.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?

I’ve learned the importance of hard work, dedication and staying mentally tough. I’ve also learned what it’s like to have true friends by being surrounded by a group of girls who truly care for and encourage each other.

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not to your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.” – Proverbs 3:5-6.

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in hurdling, what would you tell them they should focus on? 

Hurdling is a really hard skill to master, my coach is always critiquing my form and telling me how I can improve. So I would tell them to not get discouraged and constantly practice their form. Being a good runner can help you become a good hurdler but having good form can allow you to become an excellent hurdler.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

I hope when people look back at my time here at Ship they see me as a role model and a well-rounded student that was involved in different clubs at school and ran on the track team, but was also a driven student academically.

No comments:

Post a Comment