Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Get to Know Your Raiders: Jeff Tomasetti


 
A reliable special teams contributor and backup quarterback, senior Jeff Tomasetti doesn’t get as much playing time as your typical captain.

But Tomasetti – a history major who’s seeking a social studies certification and a minor in coaching – was voted one of four team captains during the preseason for the inspiring leadership and raw emotion that he brings to the Red Raider football team.

The Claymont, Del., native earned his first career start at quarterback on Saturday in the Raiders’ 61-9 win over Cheyney, going 3-for-5 passing for 22 yards and carrying the ball four times for 11 yards in four drives at quarterback.

Get to know Jeff Tomasetti…

What is your favorite pre-game ritual?

My favorite pre-game ritual is coming out as a team and touching the rock before we take the field. 

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

I enjoy the group of people on the Shippensburg campus and in the community. They are extremely accepting and supporting and I appreciate that.

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?

The best class I have taken is United States Environmental History with Dr. Allen Dieterich-Ward. He brought a great energy to the classroom that was both enjoyable and challenging.

If you weren't majoring in history with a social studies certification, what would your major be?

Exercise Science.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?

I love Fridays, the atmosphere the day before the game is really exciting.

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?

I always enjoy competing against West Chester. The games are always competitive and very physical. It forces you to play at the top of your game.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

They would probably say I always have a lot of energy and enjoy being around my teammates.

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?

I am most proud of my teammates electing me as one of their captains. It is an extremely humbling honor.

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

I would have to say the 6:45 a.m. meetings everyday.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?

Time management. It is so crucial to manage your academic and athletic responsibilities effectively.

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

My parents always stressed, "No matter what you are doing, make sure you are giving your best effort." I think that applies to every phase of my daily routine.

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in football, what would you tell them they should focus on?

I would tell them to apply themselves mentally to the game. Football is a very physical sport, but without the mental toughness, it is difficult to thrive.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

I hope to leave behind a legacy that shows the athletes of Shippensburg are a determined and disciplined group of people that thrive on the field as well as in the classroom
.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment