Monday, February 11, 2013

Get to Know Your Raiders: Eric Naylor




Eric Naylor has been one of the top swimmers for the men’s swimming team in each of his four seasons in the pool for the Raiders. As a senior this season, the Dover native has recorded over 20 times (either as an individual or as part of a relay) that have achieved the PSAC qualifying standard.

A geography major, Naylor has been a PSAC place-winner 20 times in his career (nine as an individual, 11 as part of a relay) while earning five individual and three relay All-PSAC Awards.

Naylor hopes to add to that total this weekend when he and his teammates get back in the pool at Cumberland Valley High School for the 2012 PSAC Championships beginning Thursday and wrapping up Sunday.

Get to know Eric Naylor…

What is your favorite pre-meet ritual?

I really don't do anything special before meets. I used to listen to music, but I always felt like it got me too focused. I need to be loose before I swim.

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

I like the town a lot, all the shops along King St. are fun to explore. I'm from a much smaller town than Shippensburg, so Ship seems pretty big to me.

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?

Quantitative Methods of Geography with Dr. [Paul] Marr was the best class I've taken here. It was so hard and a lot of work, but after taking the class I feel like I learned so much.

If you weren't majoring in geography, what would your major be?

I would have to say biology because I love the outdoors and wildlife.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?

My favorite day of the week would have to be Sunday. We don't have classes and we usually have off of practice on Sunday.

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?
 
My favorite school to swim is Clarion because I am friends with a few guys on their team. We always have intense meets and great races.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

Hopefully my team would say that I am a good leader, a good friend and am easy to be around.

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?

The athletic accomplishment I am most proud of would have to be my four All-American awards from high school. Being in the top 100 out of everyone in the nation was a great honor.

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

The time commitment to swimming is the most difficult part for me. Once the season is over I can finally relax a little.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?

The most important thing I've learned being a student-athlete would have to be that hard work pays off.

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

Let your actions speak for yourself. To me, this is sort of what I strive for. If you do things right, work hard and be a leader, people will follow your lead. I never really like to talk about swimming, no one really likes to hear someone brag.

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in swimming, what would you tell them they should focus on?

If my children were starting to swim competitively, I would tell them they have to play another sport, too. I'd make them try another sport because I would want them to really be sure they want to swim because, after all, swimming is just another word for exercising.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

When I'm done here at Ship, I really hope that my teammates will see me as a respectful and caring teammate. They are all my brothers and I will never forget them, just as I hope they never forget me.

No comments:

Post a Comment