Thursday, February 21, 2013

Get to Know Your Raiders: Jenn Deardorff




Senior Jenn Deardorff has been a valuable member of the softball team over the last three seasons as a reliable third baseman at the hot corner.

A native of Dallastown, Deardorff has started 51 games and appeared in 18 others throughout her career, totaling 11 hits. She played shortstop during her first two seasons and her 51 career starts are the most of any member on the club. 

The biology major was an NFCA Scholar-Athlete as a freshman and last season posted a career-best .912 fielding percentage. 

Deardorff and her teammates open up their 2013 season on Saturday and Sunday when they travel to Salisbury, N.C. to compete in the Catawba College Invitational. 

Get to know Jenn Deardorff… 

What is your favorite pre-game ritual?  

My favorite pre-game ritual is doing cheers on the field during warm-up (“Heyyyy Ship! What’s up Ship?”). This intimidates the other team and unifies our innies and outies. 

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

I love how the campus is close-knit and beautiful. Also, our softball field is one of the nicest fields in the PSAC. We travel a lot and Shippensburg is by far my favorite campus.

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg? 

The best class I have taken was Histology with Dr. [David] Long. I learned so much, and he is a phenomenal professor. 

If you weren't majoring in biology, what would your major be? 

Accounting. I have always been good with math, and I think accounting would be a satisfying career. 

What is your favorite day of the week, and why? 

My favorite day of the week is Thursday because I can look forward to a weekend of relaxation.  

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why? 

I always like competing against Millersville, because we have an unspoken rivalry. Our competitions against Millersville are always intense and exciting. I also like to compete against Kutztown, because they have a reputation for being good. We always play harder and faster against Kutztown, and it makes for a heart-pounding competition.  

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say? 

I hope my teammates would say that I am a team player and a leader. Mostly, I think they would say that I am upbeat, loud and determined to win. 

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of? 

I am most proud of getting myself to this level of play. When I first started playing, I never imagined I would be where I am today.  

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete? 

The most difficult part of being a student-athlete is managing time. Sometimes it feels like there are not enough hours in a day.  

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete? 

The most important thing I have learned is to be flexible. Games and practices are moved constantly, and you have to be prepared to change your plans at a moment’s notice.

What piece of advice stays with you at all times? 

Never give up. Failure is not an option.

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in softball, what would you tell them they should focus on? 

Fundamentals. The pace of the game always increases, but the game is the same at every level. If you can perfect the fundamentals then it will be much easier to increase speed.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg? 

The legacy I wish to leave behind for future athletes is that it is possible to be a good student and an outstanding athlete. I would love to leave behind my passion for the game as well. I see some athletes go through the motions everyday and forget why they are playing. Every day I wake up and thank god I was given the opportunity to be part of something amazing. I try to stay positive during every practice. I hope my teammates will continue to carry my energy in their hearts even after I graduate.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment