Thursday, February 7, 2013

Get to Know Your Raiders: Raediah Lyles



In her final season with the Raiders, senior Raediah Lyles has filled an important role on the women’s basketball team, having started 16 of the team’s 21 games this season as a versatile forward.

A Pittsburgh native, Lyles scored a career-high 11 points in SU’s Wednesday night road victory at Kutztown while pulling down four rebounds and dishing out three assists. For the season, Lyles is averaging 5.8 points and 3.1 rebounds per game and has been held scoreless just once.

When she’s not on the hardwood for the PSAC East first-place Raiders, Lyles is working toward her human communication studies degree while serving as a Resident Assistant in Mowrey Hall.

Get to know Raediah Lyles…

What is your favorite pre-game ritual?

When we post players come together during the warm-up and talk briefly about defeating the other team's post players. It gets me pumped up and adds a personal aspect to our efforts.

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

Since I am an RA [Resident Assistant], my favorite part of campus is my residence hall, Mowrey, because of the atmosphere we have, especially on my wing. My residents are like my little sisters and we have a lot of fun and take care of each other.

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?

Art Appreciation with Dr. [Mark] Moilanen. I learned so much about a topic that I already enjoyed and Dr. Moilanen made the class so much fun. I actually looked forward to the class even on crazy review days and exam periods. 

If you weren't majoring in human communication studies, what would your major be?

I feel as though my major was made for me, but had I not discovered that, I would probably study exercise science in order to go to graduate school for physical therapy.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?

Definitely Friday because people are always in a better mood on Fridays than any other day. 

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?

Slippery Rock, California (Pa.) and Indiana (Pa.), and that is simply because they are the closest to my hometown of Pittsburgh. I always have some supporters at those games because it’s just more feasible for family and friends to get there.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

I think that they would definitely say that I am silly and I like to have fun, that I speak my mind, and that I'm a super emotional and passionate player. I love to have fun while playing.

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?

The athletic accomplishment that I'm most proud of has yet to come. I believe we have the potential this year to go extremely far and I want to be able to say at the end of this season that it was our conference championship and trip to the NCAA tournament for my senior year.

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

Balancing your focus. Since I'm so involved on campus in other areas, it is difficult to not “just get by” in each. I want to excel in everything I do but it gets hard to buckle down and focus when there is so much going on.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?

Mental toughness. When things get hard it is those that that can get through adversity that will make it through. 

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

Don't allow basketball to become an obligation. It is a privilege to play and it should be treated like so. Have fun when you play because it is something you truly love to do (my mother).

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in basketball, what would you tell them they should focus on?

Having fun, working hard (especially on defense), and becoming versatile. I would encourage them to learn every position on the floor regardless of their size. Being versatile can make a player much better than one who is talented in one area of the game.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

I hope to leave a legacy of an emotional leader who played her heart out and never gave up. One who enjoyed the game and made others happy to play with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment