Thursday, March 28, 2013

Get to Know Your Raiders: Hilary Lyons



Junior outfielder Hilary Lyons broke through last season for the Raider softball team en route to an All-PSAC East campaign that saw her hit .330 (second on the team) while leading the squad with 38 hits and 25 runs scored.

The Cumberland, Md., native has excelled in the classroom as well, and at last year’s PSAC Tournament, she was named the PSAC Champion Scholar as the student-athlete with the highest GPA at the tournament. An accounting major, Lyons was also named to the CoSIDA/Capital One Academic All-District Team last season.

Lyons and her teammates will make their home debut this Saturday against defending PSAC Eastern champion Kutztown in SU’s conference-opening doubleheader from Robb Field.

Get to know Hilary Lyons…

What is your favorite pre-game ritual?

Saying the prayer for our team before we take the field.

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

I enjoy the fact that everyone on campus is super friendly and the professors are interested in your life outside of the classroom. On campus, you can almost always find me at Starbucks -- especially during finals.

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?

Honestly, I’m not sure I could choose. I have had so many wonderful professors who have helped me so far in my college career that picking just one is nearly impossible. My accounting courses have definitely been my favorites, though.

If you weren't majoring in accounting, what would your major be?

It would be early childhood education. I have always loved working with kids and would love to be a positive role model for young children.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?

I love college football, so Saturdays in the fall are definitely my favorite.

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?

Kutztown, because its softball program is extremely reputable. I always love these games because they are usually close and everyone really puts their heart and effort into winning.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

I think they would say that I am friendly, helpful and hardworking. I hope that some of my teammates see me as a leader, since I try my best to lead by example on the field and in the classroom. I try to be as encouraging and enthusiastic as possible. I hope that my teammates recognize my positive attitude and dedication to the sport.

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?

Being selected to the 2011-2012 Capital One Academic All-District softball team because it is awarded for a combination of sports performance and academic success.

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

The most difficult part is time management. As a student-athlete, it is easy to get behind since we travel so much. Finding the balance between class work, practices and spending time with friends is often challenging.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?

The most important thing I have learned is how wonderful it is to always have a support system around you no matter what challenges you are facing. With supportive professors, family and friends you can truly surprise yourself with what you can accomplish.

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

I have had a lot of good advice given to me throughout my life, but I will always remember my grandfather telling me to treat every day as a WIN situation -- focusing on What’s Important Now and letting everything else go. The piece of advice I have carried with me the longest came from my dad. When I was young and first starting to play, he told me that, “If you’re always trying to be like someone else, you will never be your best.” This stuck with me and taught me to focus on myself, my ability and working hard, rather than worrying about everyone else.

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in softball, what would you tell them they should focus on?

Skill-wise, I would tell them to focus on developing good fundamentals and learning the game inside and out. The most important thing for young athletes to keep in mind is that they should have fun and enjoy every minute they have on the field because it goes by way too quickly.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

I hope I allow future athletes to see that you can take the time out of your busy schedule to play a sport while keeping up in the classroom. However, one of the most important things I hope to pass on to others is how much hard work pays off. I hope my positive attitude and work ethic have been an example to others during my time at Ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment