Thursday, March 14, 2013

Get to Know Your Raiders: Kiersten Darhower




Senior outfielder Kiersten Darhower is off to a scorching start in her final season for the Shippensburg University softball team.

Through eight games this season, the Dauphin native leads the team with a .444 batting average and 12 hits. She’s stolen three bases and scored six runs while posting a perfect 1.000 fielding percentage from her starting spot in right field.

Darhower, a psychology major, is the most veteran member of the team, having played in 85 career games while totaling 38 hits, 34 runs and eight stolen bases.

Get to know Kiersten Darhower…

What is your favorite pre-game ritual?

Listening to music that will get me pumped up for the game and will help me get mentally focused.

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

I really enjoy the town in general. I come from a small town, so it gives me a feeling like I am at home and can be close to many people at the school.

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?
   
I have taken many classes that I enjoyed at Ship, but my overall favorite would have to be Abnormal Psychology. It was a very tough class, but I learned so much about the different disorders that people have and everything that is involved in the care and interaction with those people.

If you weren't majoring in psychology, what would your major be?

I think I would be most interested in majoring in communication or meteorology.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?

My favorite day of the week would have to be Friday. I only have two classes on Friday this semester and we have most of our games this season either on Fridays or Saturdays, so it gives me something to look forward to during the week.

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?

In the past few years, I have really enjoyed competing against Kutztown and Millersville. They always seem to give us good competition and I am always excited to play those games.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

I think that my teammates would say that I am optimistic, hardworking and am a good teammate. They would also probably say that I am very quiet and reserved but am willing to help and be there for anyone who needs it.

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?

I am most proud of a no-hitter that I threw when I was in high school. That was one of the most memorable and exciting games I can remember.

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

Time management and keeping everything (schoolwork, practice time, game time, etc.) organized.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?

I have learned that I need to always keep in contact with my professors and to make sure that I keep up with, or even get ahead of, my schoolwork. I also think that being a student-athlete has helped me learn how to use any and every resource that is made available to me when it comes to school as well as softball.

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

As far as the game of softball goes, my dad gave me a piece of advice that he had heard about, "It's not how you handle the three times you are successful, it's how you handle the seven times you fail." This quote has helped me tremendously when it comes to getting up to bat during games and relaxing when I don't do as well as I may like.

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in softball, what would you tell them they should focus on?

I would tell them that they need to focus on getting the basics down when it comes to any position. Once they get that down, they can then move on to the more difficult aspects of softball. Also, I would say that their batting is very crucial to get down at a young age and to work very hard on being able to hit.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

I hope to leave behind hard work and dedication on and off of the field. Playing a sport during school is not just about playing the game, it's about getting an education as well as doing something that you love to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment