Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Get to Know Your Raiders: Sarah Chrencik



A starter in every game over the past three seasons, senior women’s lacrosse captain Sarah Chrencik has filled the stat sheet as one of the team’s top defenders.

A Finksburg, Md., native, Chrencik has consistently been among the team leaders with 52 career groundball pickups, 24 draw controls and 29 caused turnovers to go along with four goals and an assist.

A marketing major, Chrencik has also excelled in the classroom as she was named to the Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association (IWLCA) Academic Honor Roll last season.

Chrencik and her teammates will get back on the field Wednesday with a 4 p.m. home matchup against No. 11 Lock Haven in each team’s PSAC opener.

Get to know Sarah Chrencik…

What is your favorite pre-game ritual?

I usually don't do anything specific before games. I like to listen to music and talk to or make jokes with my teammates. It helps distract me and keeps me from over-thinking and getting nervous.

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

My favorite part of Ship is definitely living on Richard Avenue with all of my teammates. There are four lacrosse houses on Richard so we're always hanging out together…there's never a dull moment.

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?


Computer Design and Page Composition. The class was really interesting and there was a relaxed atmosphere.

If you weren't majoring in marketing, what would your major be?

Graphic Design or Public Relations/Communications. My minor is Technical Professional Communications so I have gotten to take a few of these classes and have really enjoyed them.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?

Definitely Friday. The day always seems to fly by and during season it is usually before a game so our pre-game practice is pretty easy.

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?

I always look forward to playing Millersville and Bloomsburg. There has always been a rivalry between our teams, ever since my freshman year.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

I hope they would say that I like to joke around and have fun, but when I need to I can be serious and work hard on and off the field.

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?

I would say being named as a captain this year. It means a lot to me that my teammates think of me as a leader and a person they could come to with any issues.

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

Missing classes is always a challenge during season. Some professors are really accommodating to our schedule and others aren't as much, so keeping on top of my work is really important.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?

Definitely time management – I think almost every student-athlete could agree. We all put so much time and effort in during the fall, winter and spring seasons that being able to balance school and sports can get pretty challenging sometimes.

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

My parents have always reiterated that you should, “do what you like and like what you do.” Whether in school or lacrosse, it's about having the right attitude and enjoying life.

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in lacrosse, what would you tell them they should focus on?

I would tell them to focus on developing a love for the sport. Some days I feel like all I do is carry my lacrosse stick around with me. While hectic at some points, I wouldn't regret playing lacrosse one bit.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

While my time here was a short four years, I hope my teammates will always view me as a great friend. Looking back there are games that stick out in my mind, but I'll never forget the crazy moments I've had with my teammates. These girls have become my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment