Thursday, November 15, 2012

Get to Know Your Raiders: Eddie LaNoue



Eddie LaNoue isn’t the first member of his family to create waves in the pool for Shippensburg.

Eddie’s dad, Ed Sr., won three NCAA titles in the 1980s and held both school and national records in the 50- and 100-yard freestyle en route to an SU Hall of Fame career.

A marketing major, Eddie has followed in his dad’s path as he’s also primarily a freestyle swimmer for the Raiders. Eddie has posted multiple times in the 50 free that rank among the Top-10 times in the event in school history, but his goal is to eventually take that top spot away from his dad.

Eddie, a Boiling Springs native, will have another crack at it this weekend as he and his teammates travel down to Fairfax, Va., to compete in the prestigious Patriot Invitational hosted by George Mason University from Thurs.-Sat.

Get to know Eddie LaNoue…

What is your favorite pre-game ritual?

I like to get a good night’s rest before a competition. After that I prefer to spend most of my day not using a lot of energy, being lazy, sitting around my house watching TV or playing “Call of Duty” and hanging out with my friends and teammates.

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

I live off campus on Prince St. with four other roommates that I have known for a long time as well as an awesome girlfriend, and we all always seem to find something fun to do around the town together. 

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?

My favorite class so far would have to be organizational behavior. We learn a lot of interesting things about how groups of people interact within businesses. We also do a lot of group work and in-class activities to demonstrate certain organizational phenomena that I can use in everyday life – like how to best resolve conflict, how good and bad leadership affects people’s actions and much more.

If you weren't majoring in marketing, what would your major be?

I would like to be a biology major – it was my first interest but it was too much work for me to balance with swimming. But I would enjoy being in the biology field; I like taking science classes.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?

Saturday, because I don't have to go to bed early to wake up for morning practice on Sunday.

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?

I enjoy competing against Clarion the most. Some of their swimmers I swam against in high school and we are good friends from that. Also, I always seem to have a lot of close, fun races against Clarion whenever we swim them.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

I would hope they say that I'm funny or generous. I usually try to get a smile out of people whenever I can.

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?

I am most proud of a relay I anchored against Edinboro last year. It was an even meet the whole way and it came down to the final relay. The Edinboro swimmer and I were even when we dove in for the last leg and I ended up out-touching him to win the meet. It was an extremely emotional win on the road for us and we all went home happy. Coach [Tim Verge] even teared up after the meet was over about how the team rallied behind each other and dug deep for the win. It is races like these that I love to swim – it’s the best feeling in the world to do something for your team like that.

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

Balancing classwork and practice. Also fighting off sleep in classes right after 6 a.m. practice.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?

The most important thing I have taken away from swimming is to strive to not ever give up on goals I wish to accomplish and that if I put 100 percent effort toward something I will always do well.

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

Never give up. The going will always get tough, that's how life is, and you just have to know to never just give up.

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in swimming, what would you tell them they should focus on?

Focus on having fun and enjoy the sport as much as you can. There is no use competing in swimming if you’re not having fun while you do it. It also makes practice much more enjoyable.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

My biggest wish/goal is to break one of my dad’s records. He swam at Ship and has the records in the same events that I swim in. He won three NCAA titles [two in the 50-yard freestyle and another in the 100-yard freestyle] and held the national record in the 50-yard freestyle for some time, and he’s in the Athletic Hall of Fame here. My biggest wish is to one day break at least one of those records during my career here at Ship and be up on the same record board as my dad


 

No comments:

Post a Comment