Monday, November 12, 2012

Get to Know Your Raiders: Emma Shank


 
Emma Shank has blossomed this season into a reliable third scorer for the women’s cross country team.

The Hummelstown native earned her first career All-PSAC and All-Region honors as a junior in 2012 when she finished ninth and 12th, respectively, at the PSAC Championships and the NCAA Atlantic Region Championships.

An exercise science major, Shank – who was also the Raiders’ No. 1 runner (ninth place) at the Gettysburg Invitational in October – helped the Raiders win all three titles and will strive to do the same with her teammates this weekend at the NCAA National Championships from Joplin, Mo.

Get to know Emma Shank...

What is your favorite pre-game ritual?

The day before a big meet, I try my best to not let the pressures of my race get to my head. At the hotel, we always paint our nails and get massages to relax. Before going to bed, I like to visualize the race in my head so that I am mentally prepared to step on that line. As for the day of the race, we warm up as a team and never fail to shout-out our team cheer: “S-H… S-H-I… S-H-I-P… SHIP let’s fly!”

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

There are a lot of places on campus that I love, but my favorite place in Shippensburg is my apartment on Earl St. I live with some of my teammates and best friends. It’s always nice to know that I have them to come home to after stressful days of school. They are the ones that keep me going and keep me motivated to reach for goals I’ve never thought I could accomplish – they are my support system through anything.

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?

Anatomy has been the best class that I’ve taken so far. Although it’s challenging, I absolutely love learning about anatomy. It has been pretty neat to apply what I am learning from class to my running as well.

If you weren't majoring in exercise science, what would your major be?

I think I would choose psychology.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?

Friday, of course. Classes are done for the week, so what is there not to love? Also, we usually have a light day of mileage because of racing the following day, or we might have a night workout.

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?

Although we don’t compete single races against individual PSAC schools during the season, there are a few schools I always look forward to racing against. At the NCAA meet in Spokane, Wash., we were fortunate to race with fellow PSAC schools Bloomsburg and Lock Haven. It was really nice to have familiar faces on and off the cross country course in Spokane and to be able to share the experience with them.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

That I try my best to be a good leader on the team, and I work hard in everything I do. I also do everything for the glory of God, whether it’s school or running.

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?

Being part of NCAA regional and PSAC conference championship teams is an awesome experience. Above all, I will never forget competing in NCAA Division II Nationals in Spokane. After the success we had last year, I can’t wait to see how the rest of 2012 season unfolds for our team.

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

Balancing academics, running and a social life is the most challenging part of being a student-athlete. Practice may not seem very long, but after lifting, stretching and icing, time does fly. It is important to prioritize and not let practices or meets put you behind in schoolwork.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?

Time management. Balancing a social life, academics, and athletics is not an easy task. I’ve been trying to balance the three for nine years now and I’m still working on perfecting my time management skills.

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

My high school coach would always say, “It is ok to be nervous, but never be scared.” This simple piece of advice has gotten me through countless races over the years. I remind myself of this before stepping onto the starting line. It is important to be confident in your abilities and have no doubts. Mind over matter.

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in running, what would you tell them they should focus on?

Have fun with the sport. A lot of runners tend to get caught up in the competitiveness of it all, either competing for place or for money. But I think it’s most important to remember why you run – for the love of the sport.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

When I graduate next year, I hope to leave the legacy that all Shippensburg cross country graduates have left thus far. I hope to show that by living the lifestyle, following coach Steve Spence’s plan and working together as a team, anything is possible. 


No comments:

Post a Comment