Thursday, November 8, 2012

Get to Know Your Raiders: Emily Kohlbus



Emily Kohlbus saved her best for last.

The senior forward on the No. 2-ranked SU field hockey team has broken out for career highs with six goals and 15 points in her final season in a Raider uniform in 2012.

A York native, Kohlbus has started all but two games in which she’s played this season and is one of the leaders of a seven-player senior class looking to cement its legacy with a national championship this weekend.

Kohlbus, a mid-level elementary education major for grades 4-8 with a concentration in language arts, and the Raiders face off against No. 1 West Chester in the first national semifinal on Friday at 1 p.m.

Get to know Emily Kohlbus…

What is your favorite pre-game ritual?

The one thing I have to do before every game is have my teammate, [junior] Brynn Seidenstricker, braid my hair. No one else can braid it except for her. I'm really superstitious when it comes to certain pre-game rituals. 

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

I spent a lot of time in Starbucks – it’s my savior.

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?

I really liked the Special Education class I had with Dr. David Bateman last semester. He was such an engaging and knowledgeable professor. I gained so much from his class. His class is part of the reason why I want to pursue a degree in Special Education as well as Middle Level education.

If you weren't majoring in mid-level and elementary education for grades 4-8, what would your major be?

I would probably major in Speech Therapy (which isn't offered at Ship) or something to do with computers. I consider myself a pretty tech-savvy person and I enjoy learning about technology.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?

Sunday, since it’s usually our only day off from field hockey. It's nice to physically be able to relax, but then again, I dedicate my Sundays to getting work done.

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?

Obviously Bloomsburg is our big rival and I do like playing against them. It's always an intense and physical game with them. The atmosphere just feels different when we play each other.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

I hope that my teammates would say that I am a very hard-working person on and off the field. I also think my teammates would say I am dedicated to field hockey and my team. I'm not the most vocal leader on the team so I really try to lead through my actions and I hope that my teammates see that.

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?

My sophomore through senior year of high school I was my team's leading scorer and I was also voted as the Most Dedicated Player twice. I was very honored to receive that award because my teammates recognized how much time and effort I put into the sport I love.

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

Time management and missing class. It's always hard trying to plan weeks ahead. It can also become very stressful, especially traveling for the postseason. After a long day of classes, practice becomes my outlet and I try not to let the stress influence how I play. A lot of my classmates ask me how I do it – play field hockey as well as be an education major since education is such a time-consuming major.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?

Be aware of your actions and words. As a representative of this university, people are constantly watching your every move and that's something a lot of student-athletes forget. I have also learned to never take anything for granted and that you should work hard day in and day out. If you want it, you have to earn it; nothing is given to you. 

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

I don't have a specific piece of advice I carry with me, but I try to always remind myself that there are people who don't have the opportunities that I do and how lucky I am to be playing the sport I love. This past summer I worked at a summer camp for kids with disabilities and it really changed my life. There was a boy who had leg braces because his coordination was declining and he had trouble walking for an extended period of time. He loved to run and play any sport that involved throwing a ball. This year, I think about him before every game and try to play my hardest for those who can't.

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in field hockey, what would you tell them they should focus on?

Twice a week in the summer I coach girls of all ages and skill levels. Field hockey is a very frustrating sport to play, especially when you are just starting. I try to let the girls know that everything looks hard now, but with time and practice, the skills will come to you. I also try to make the summer sessions fun by playing certain games before we start drills. I would encourage the girls who are just starting out to have fun and keep working hard because anything is possible.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

I really want to leave a national championship as part of my senior class's legacy. I would also like to leave behind my work ethic and my positive attitude to set an example for athletes to come. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment