Sunday, April 7, 2013

Get to Know Your Raiders: Daniela Delgado



Junior Daniela Delgado of the SU tennis team has amassed seven singles victories and five doubles wins during her career as a Raider.

Originally from Lima, Peru, by way of York, Delgado tied for the team lead as a freshman with four wins in singles and this season has contributed to a career-best three wins in doubles.

Delgado, a biology major, will get back on the court tomorrow afternoon when the Raiders host Georgian Court at 4 p.m. from the Robb Sports Complex tennis courts.

Get to know Daniela Delgado…

What is your favorite pre-match ritual?

Every time I'm about to start a match, I breath deeply and think of my grandpa. He is in Peru now but I know he's always thinking of the first time he saw me on the court.

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

Well because of my major, I feel like the Franklin Science Center has been my home since I started going here.

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?

Human anatomy with Dr. David Long.

If you weren't majoring in biology, what would your major be?

Elementary education – I love children.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?

I'd have to say Friday because I look forward to seeing my "little buddy" from the elementary school.

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?

California (Pa.) is always a challenge but that means that I'm actually being put to the test.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

That’s a good question…I'm sure they know I'm one of the people they can talk to about anything. But if the answer has to relate to tennis it would be, "Move your feet!"

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?

When I was a freshman and was put in for the Clarion and California (Pa.) matches and won both of them.

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

All the time we put into the sport and having to be organized when it comes to our schedules.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?

To work on everything in a timely manner and be patient with others when we have practice at 6 a.m., five days a week – especially in the winter.

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

My dad would always say to me, "You are like a tennis ball, the harder people push you down, the higher you will bounce back up. Don't ever give up."

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in tennis, what would you tell them they should focus on?

Play smart and visualize the court like a puzzle, finding where to place the ball.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

I can't really think of anything to leave as an individual, but as for the future teams I'd tell them to act like a family and to be there for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment