Thursday, April 11, 2013

Get to Know Your Raiders: Sarah Burkarth



Junior Sarah Burkarkth has been one of the most unheralded players for the SU lacrosse team over the last few seasons.

The defender from Mechanicsburg has started all 12 games and has totaled 12 groundball pickups so far this season. She has started 33 career games in three seasons with 26 total groundballs.

A communication/journalism major, Burkarth and her teammates host Bloomsburg on Saturday in a pivotal PSAC showdown from Robb Sports Complex. Before the game, SU will honor its five seniors during its Senior Day ceremonies.

Get to know Sarah Burkarth…

What is your favorite pre-game ritual?

Our “dog pile” in the middle of the field during warm-ups. It’s our way of getting pumped up and motivated to win the game.

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

I love the fact that a lot of SU athletes live on the same street, Richard Ave. We have all become very close over the past years, even though we are not on the same teams.

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?

Photography. I’ve always had a passion for it, and it just so happens that I could take photo as an elective for my major. It is the only class that I don’t mind having homework in.

If you weren't majoring in communication/journalism, what would your major be?

Elementary education. I actually came into Shippensburg as an education major, then switched to comm/journ. I’ve always wanted to work with children, but I thought journalism would be a better fit for me.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?

Saturday, because it is the only day I don’t have to worry about schoolwork.

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?

Millersville. This is always an exciting game for us because our previous head coach [Mia Hall] transferred to Millersville to coach there. IUP is also another favorite because it has always been such close games.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

I think they would say that I’m a good teammate to have because I will always be there for my team if they need me, whether it’s on the field or in their own personal lives.

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?

I am most proud of earning the Leadership Award my senior year of lacrosse in high school. I am proud because it is a characteristic I can have for my entire life, even outside of sports.

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

I think scheduling classes around practice and games is the most difficult part. Playing a sport takes up a good chunk of time every day, and it can interfere with a class you may need to graduate on time.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?

Being a student-athlete in college made me realize that I’m not just playing a sport. I am learning the concepts of responsibility and teamwork, on a level that you may not learn without being a student-athlete.

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

Our team motto last year, “Make It Count.” Make every sprint and every drill count toward your goal of becoming a better player. Make everything you do count toward improving yourself as a person.

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in lacrosse, what would you tell them they should focus on?

Never forget the basics. It may seem silly spending so much time on catching and throwing, but it will improve your stick skills and make you a better player in the long run.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

I hope that the amazing closeness of the girls on the lacrosse team will always continue. We have an incredible bond, both on and off the field. I hope future Shippensburg athletes, not just lacrosse players, will be able to experience friendships like the ones I have made with my teammates.

1 comment: