Monday, April 15, 2013

Get to Know Your Raiders: Romarr Mayne



Romarr Mayne has been part of two school record-setting relay performances on the Shippensburg men’s track & field team. At the PSAC Outdoor Championships in 2011, Mayne was on the 4x100-meter squad that broke a school record with a 40.90 title-winning time.

And this past indoor season at the Armory Collegiate Invitational in February, the Reading native contributed to the 4x200-meter team that finished first with a SU-best time of 1:29.24.

Mayne, a political science major, clocked an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 6.85 in the 60 meters at the Bison Opener in December that garnered him the PSAC Men’s Indoor Track Athlete of the Week award and eventually earned him a USTFCCCA All-Region honor.

Get to know Romarr Mayne…

What is your favorite pre-meet ritual?

I like to go and look at the lineup and seedings the night before a meet and predict how well I will do. Also, pasta dinners at my place with my teammates and writing our goals for the upcoming meet.

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?

I really love University Grille and the wings.

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?

The best class I have taken would be my theatre class.

If you weren't majoring in political science, what would your major be?

Though I love my major and the department faculty, I would pick elementary education if I had to do it all over again.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?

My favorite day of the week would be Monday, because I get to sleep in and watch “Criminal Minds” all day until practice.

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?

I would say Kutztown. I have a few friends on the team that I ran with in high school, so it’s fun to reunite with them.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?

That Romarr is very supportive of his teammates, brings life to everyone as well as a smile. And that he’s outgoing and awesome.

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?

Anchoring the 4x100 to break a 20-year-old school record with a 40.90 to win the 2011 PSAC Outdoor title with my best pals Herman Kirkland, Jon Eisman and Kevin Marshall.

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

I think the most difficult thing would be managing academics with the traveling schedule. It’s easy to get so caught up in the fun and excitement of meet weekends that you set off schoolwork until Sunday nights.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?

The importance of what it means to be on a team and to be a part of an athletic family.

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

God has not brought me this far to leave me. So no matter how hard it gets, keep the faith.

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in running, what would you tell them they should focus on?

I would say running is a great outlet in life and just focus on doing it as much as you can. And build on technique – that makes for a greater runner.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?

I would like to be known as the sprinter that overcame adversities to become one of the best the program has seen by filling the record books.

No comments:

Post a Comment