Monday, April 22, 2013

Get to Know Your Raiders: Emily Estep



For the last three seasons, junior pitcher Emily Estep of the Raider softball team has been one of the most dominant pitchers in the entire PSAC.

The Chambersburg native was named the 2011 PSAC East Pitcher of the Year and Freshman of the Year and in three seasons, boasts a 1.84 earned-run average with totals of 34 wins, 35 complete games and 409 strikeouts.

This season, the communication/journalism major leads the PSAC in opponent batting average, holding opposing batters to just a .169 clip. She has totaled a 1.66 ERA, which is third in the conference.

Estep has thrown two no-hitters this season – a five-inning effort against Edinboro on March 16 and a seven-inning performance against West Chester on April 5. The no-no against the Golden Rams was SU’s first seven-inning no-hitter in seven seasons.

Get to know Emily Estep…

What is your favorite pre-game ritual?

I first have to check to see if I have my camo hair bow and my orange bracelet for my friend Kacy. I'm not really superstitious, but it means a lot that they are represented. From there, my favorite part would have to be our ritual we do as a team. We have infield, outfield then go behind the dugout to pray, do our cheer and read the lineup. There is also a certain way we get called onto the field and write in the dirt around the mound before the national anthem. Last, the pitcher is the first to step into the circle and then everyone else and the game begins.

What part of Shippensburg, either the campus or the town, do you most enjoy?


My favorite part of Shippensburg would have to be my apartment off campus. I love my roommates, and my teammates are always close by. We all have such a close relationship and have fun just hanging out to talk softball outside of softball…never enough softball. Also, it houses my favorite place in the universe: my bed.

What is the best class you've taken at Shippensburg?


Any class that I have taken with Dr. Kim Garris. I'm taking my third communications class with her this semester. She really pushes you to learn and it's a headache at times, but it’s extremely beneficial in the end.

If you weren't majoring in communication/journalism, what would your major be?

Before I chose Shippensburg I attended an open house here. I was really interested in becoming a history teacher, but was told by one of the professors speaking that there were no open jobs in the state of Pennsylvania. That shot down that dream, but I have and always will love history.

What is your favorite day of the week, and why?


Friday – it was always my easy class day and it's the beginning of the weekend. Who wouldn't love that?

Which are your favorite PSAC schools to compete against, and why?


Kutztown, West Chester and Millersville. I looked at all these schools and playing them reminds me that I made the best decision by choosing Ship. Also, it's always a rivalry with these schools. I think we have tough competition with every school in the PSAC East and it makes us a better team by playing them.

If we asked your teammates to say a few words about you, what do you think they would say?


I would hope good things! They would probably say that I'm all about softball 24/7. They'd say I like to add my two cents on most things and like to goof around no matter how serious the situation. They would probably also add how sarcastic I am, which I really don't see.

Which individual athletic accomplishment are you most proud of?


When I pitched the winning game against [then-No. 23] Minnesota State Mankato my freshman year. At the time I really didn't understand the fuss about beating them, which is actually how most of my freshman year went. I had no idea how important certain situations were in helping our team to the top. I was just enjoying the ride.

What's the most difficult part of being a student-athlete?

Trying to explain to my friends outside of softball why I cannot go snowboarding, ice skating, kite boarding or anything else that I get invited to. I'm accident-prone and coach [Bob Brookens] would probably not be happy.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned being a student-athlete?


How to be a grown-up. Being a student-athlete you learn to make decisions for yourself. I'm blessed to have my parents to ask for advice, but I'm on my own here. You learn about wrong and right decisions about money, friends, relationships, classes, etc.

What piece of advice stays with you at all times?

My mother has always told me, "Dream big and always believe." My dad doesn't have a saying, but has always pushed me to work hard for my accomplishments. They're my rocks.

If you could talk to children who are just beginning to show an interest in softball, what would you tell them they should focus on?


Play every game to your full potential. Never play at half speed. It is a privilege to play the sport and it should never be taken for granted. You never know when your last game will be and always have fun. That is why the sport was invented.

What legacy do you hope to leave behind for future athletes at Shippensburg?


I want them to see that the NCAA divisions DO NOT MATTER. It is a privilege to play here at Shippensburg. You get an amazing education and get to play at a level that challenges you and makes memories that will stay with you for the rest of your life. I made the right decision and wouldn't change it for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment